So you may have heard of Multiple Sclerosis or MS lately, since 1991 there has been a 50% increase in the diagnosis of MS in women2 and is the second leading cause of disability in young adults.3
What is MS?
MS is an autoimmune condition where the fatty insulation that surrounds nerves, myelin, is degenerated into scar tissue.1 Imagine the insulation around an electrical wire being destroyed making the wire unable to carry electricity properly. This happens in the Central Nervous System/CNS and interferes with the connection between the brain and body which creates a wide variety of health problems.
Recent research reveals a new probable cause:
The cause for MS is still a mystery to researchers and the scientific community. The founder of MRI, Dr Raymond Damadian, looked at eight patients with MS in a recent study4 and found this:
- 7/8 patients all had neck injuries specifically to the upper neck.
- The onset of MS symptoms began up to eight years after the traumas and correlated to their injuries.
- All of the MS patients exhibited Cerebral Spinal Fluid/CSF (CSF cushions the brain and provides oxygen and nutrients) flow abnormalities on Magnetic Resonance Imaging/MRI with blockage in the canals of the cervical spine.
- As a result of abnormal CSF flow to the brain it was found that intracranial pressure causing CSF to leak around the brain.
- CSF an antigen which may cause the autoimmune response characteristic of MS.
- Control Patients without these conditions had no blockage in CSF in the cervical spine.
When the flow of CSF is decreased it is referred to as Chronic Cerebral Spinal Venous Insufficiency/CCSVI and is theorized to be a major contributing factor in MS.5 It is an intricate relationship between the upper neck, brain and how the entire body functions. Studies have shown MS and CCVSI to be related to the misalignment of the C1/Atlas vertebra in the upper neck.6
What to do:
MS patients who have received specific upper cervical chiropractic care have not only experienced relief of MS but also no further progression.7Upper cervical chiropractors use extremely specific methods and analysis to determine the integrity of the upper neck, nervous system and proper vascular flow to the brain. Anytime there is a misalignment in the neck from trauma it is important to get evaluated by an upper cervical chiropractor to ensure proper alignment of the spine.
- Noonan CW, Kathman SJ, White MC. Prevalence estimates for MS in the United States and evidence of an increasing trend for women. Neurology 2002;58:1:136-138
- Rubin S. Management of multiple sclerosis: an overview. DM;59:7:253-260.
- Damadian RV, Chu D. The possible role of cranio-cervical trauma and abnormal CSF hydrodynamics in the genesis of multiple Sclerosis. Physiol Chem Phys. 2011;41:1-17
- Weinstock-Guttman B., Ramanathan M., Marr K et al. (2012) Clinical correlates of chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency in multiple sclerosis, BMC Neurology, 12(26), pp. 1-6.
- Mandolesi S, Marceca G, Conicello S, Harris E. Upper cervical vertebral subluxation in multiple sclerosis with chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency: a pilot study. J Upper Cervical Chiropr Res. 2013;(3):65-70
- Elster EL. Eighty-one patients with multiple sclerosis and parkinson’s disease undergoing upper cervical chiropractic care to correct vertebral subluxation: a retrospective analysis. . J Vertebr Sublux Res. 2004;2:1-9.
To schedule a complimentary consultation with Dr. Sherwood call 425-227-0111 or just click the button below:
If you are outside of the local area you can find an Upper Cervical Doctor near you at www.uppercervicalawareness.com
To hear from more people like you, check out our patient reviews here.
Dr. Kurt Sherwood, D.C. is an Upper Cervical Specialist and Renton Chiropractor who has helped many people to find natural relief over the past 20 plus years. He is trained by the National Upper Cervical Chiropractic Association and his Renton Chiropractic clinic specializes in correcting problems in the upper cervical spine (upper neck). This vital area is intimately connected to the central nervous system and problems in this area have been shown to be an underlying cause of a variety of different health problems including migraine headaches, multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, Parkinson’s disease, and vertigo. More information can be found on his website at http://www.sherwoodspinalcare.com